This knowledgebase article outlines how to setup a mapped drive on your Windows based computer using free software from Eldos.com. This is an ideal solution for situations where you commonly need to upload files to the same location on the server for your website. Create Hosting provides an SFTP (Secure FTP) connection as standard, so it makes setting up this connection as easy as pie.
With SFTP Net Drive (from Elos.com), you can work with the remote file system as if it were a local disk drive, given that the remote system supports SFTP protocol. SFTP protocol provides an encrypted channel for file upload and download and also for remote file and directory operations (such as create and delete directories, move and rename files etc).
SFTP Net Drive is a freeware application which you can use free of charge for any purposes on Windows 7, Vista, XP, 2008 R2 Server, 2008 Server and 2003 Server.
- Download the application from http://www.eldos.com/sftp-net-drive/download-release.php
- Install the application, selecting all defaults
- Run the application to setup the Server Connection
- Enter your SFTP access details (ensure that you enter the details, including the port number as provided in the Account Settings email for your hosting account)
- Click the Server Settings button to enter a specified folder to map directly to the folder where your files are to be uploaded to:
That's it. Click the Connect button and a drive will be mapped to the server.