If you are encountering an intermittant error in Outlook 2002 or Office Outlook 2003 when sending and/or receiving email, with the error codes 0x80042108, here is a recap of the error message and a list of most likely symptoms.
These is the typical message received: Task 'yourname.com - Receiving' reported error (0x80042108): 'Outlook is unable to connect to your incoming (POP3) e-mail server. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).'
This behaviour may occur if any of the following conditions are true:
- There are corrupted files on your hard disk.
- You are running Norton Personal Firewall 2002.
- You are running Norton Internet Security software.
- You have installed an update to Microsoft Office.
- The Norton anti-spam add-in is enabled in Outlook.
For more information on this error, and the recommended solutions, please visit Microsoft's official support article on these error messages at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/813514.